Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Santa Postal Pouch {Tutorial}


Can you believe it? Tomorrow is December 1st!! I've got my Christmas decorations up, were getting our {fresh} tree this weekend, advent calendars are ready to go and Bing Crosby is singing as I type. I'm just bursting with Christmas Spirit this year and I wanted to share a fun tutorial just in time for you little ones to send Santa their wish lists! I am calling it: Santa Postal Pouch. It is so cute. Have your kids write their letters and end them via North Pole Postal Pouch Mail. I can't wait to see my kids faces when Santa sends a letter back and leaves it in the pouch. Oh, the magic of Santa!

Here's the easy tutorial. 

Step 1: Cut Fabric. 
Cut 2 squares measuring 10 1/2 x 10 1/2 {outer fabric} and then cut 2 square measuring 10 1/2 x 9 1/2 { 9 1/2 measurement needs to be the bottom of the square. inside fabric}
Cut 1 square measuring 11 1/2 x 11 1/2 and cut in half to make a triangle. {pouch flap} 5 total pieces of fabric.


Step 2: Pouch Flap
Fold your triangle right sides together {I realize this picture isn't right sides together, sorry!} in half. Iron. to mine I added a little bit of dingle ball fringe, but do whatever you prefer. Sew right sides together sewing  shorter side of triangle with 1/4" seam allowance. Turn right side out and iron. Leave long side of triangle unsewn.

Step 3: Making Pouch
Match your outside fabric with your inside fabric {x2} right sides together and sew top of fabric. Add your flap pouch to one of the squares sandwiched in between the fabrics. {note: bottom of inside fabric is 1" shorter} Iron. Match like fabrics right sides together and sew 1/4" around entire pouch. On inside fabric leav a 4" opening to turn fabric  Flip pouch right side out, iron and sew pouch opening closed.
Step 4: Finishing Up
Iron and lay flat. Making sure your corners are pointed. Tuck inside fabric into pouch and flip your flap!
Step 5: North Pole Tag
I added a little hand stitched North Pole Tag with NearSea Naturals organic embroidery floss {fire red}and wool felt . I also thought of a few other tag lines: "Polar Express", "Express Delivery to Santa", "Santa's Mail", "For Santa" ~ you decided. I am making a few of these for family and friends and will probably change up each tag to say something different.

Have your kids tuck their wish lists into the pouch for Santa. I thought it would be cute to leave it by the fireplace, have it disappear for a few days and then re-appear with a message from Santa or one of his elves with a treat.

Linking up: Blue Cricket Designs


post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing!

I love following your blog and I hope you will follow me back over at www.createdbycori.blogspot.com

Ella said...

Wow! Great tutorial!!! I Love that Idea, so cute!!! I extra love the hand stitches♥♥♥

Michelle in Saskatoon said...

Thanks for the idea it's really cute!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin