Friday, September 18, 2009

Field Trip Fridays ~ Storytelling Festival



For the last 20 years each Labor Day, The Mt. Timpanogos Storytelling Festival has put on a weekend of laughs, workshops, dreams, puppets, fun, exhibits, and of course stories!! This year, I had the great opportunity to participate, with my family, in this years events.

On Saturday we went up to Provo Canyon to Timpanogos Park and watched a puppet show. For a mom of two boys I couldn't have been more pleased, my boys were entranced by Drew Brinley. He was an impressive "story juggler" and I think it was the first time, my boys saw juggling in real life.

Timpanogos Park had an impressive line up of tents with storytellers spinning tales through out the day. It was fun to pop in and listen to stories throughout our activities with the boys.

Saturday evening was "Laughin' Night" at the Scera Shell. It is a beautiful amphitheater with lots of seating, although it was packed by the time we got there! Note to self: coming 45 minutes earlt is not early enough to get a good seat. But, there is also plenty of grass seating and I luckily remember a blanket. With our bucket of chicken and treats for the boys, we had a wonderful night of laughs, smiles and giggles.

My favorite story of the night was by Charlotte Blake Alston. She told the story of ginger bread girl and her trip to the circus and her close encounter(s) with all the animals of the circus. Coincidentally it was my 7 year olds favorite story as well! All the storytellers were amazing. I can't wait until my boys are older and can be inspired to create their own stories. Can't wait for next year!

*As a side note: I am sure you are wondering...where are the pictures? We'll I remembered my camera I just didn't remember to put the media card in it!! Doof! That was a bummer!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the story of the little gingerbread girl!.. This is a really fun time! If you can make it mark it on your calenders.. oh and what a wonderful write up!

A & E said...

i remember going to the storytelling festival with you-can't remember the year, but it was a great time. glad to see you are still going every year.

Fahrenheit 350° said...

It was so fun! Loved being a Laugh Night with you!

blushing rose said...

What a great idea .. & sounds like a lot of fun, too.

Have a great & enjoyable weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- this sounds like a lot of fun. Sorry about your media card ;-( !

Blog Widget by LinkWithin