Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pot O' Gold ~Mid Week Munchies


One of my goals for 2011 was learn how to make homemade Carmel. I have always been alittle intimidated by homemade carmel; my Grandma, Mom and Sisters are all excellent candy makers...carmel included. During the holidays I am was always the first to say "Lets make Carmel", but always defaulted to letting my Mom or Sisters, actually make it. But not this St. Patrick's Day!!!

This St. Patrick's Day I had a great idea for my very own Pot O' Gold. My Mother-in-law gave me a wonderful old rusty cooking pot, that I always use at Halloween....which got me thinking.... Perfect Leprechaun Pot. After I made my carmel I wrapped my carmel in little pieces of gold cellophane, added a pine cleaner rainbow and loaded my pot full of delicious carmel gold.

Carmel Recipe:

2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 cups Corn Syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy Cream
3/4 cup Evaporated Milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large, heavy sauce pan (I use my Gaurdian Service cookware) I combine sugar, syrup, salt and 1 cup of cream. Allow ingredients to come to a soft rolling boil and let cook until a candy thermometer reads 235 degrees. Add the additional 1 cup of cream and milk. (I like to heat my cream and milk in the microwave {2-3 minutes}this helps cut down on cooking time) Allow carmel to continue to boil until temperature on thermometer reads 228 degrees. Take off heat and quickly pour into a butter cookie sheet.

Happy St. Patrick's Day and I hope you all find some gold at the end of the rainbow.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin