Thursday, October 27, 2011

Improv Piecing

***If your looking for info about my {Frenchknots} Quilt Retreat click on the top right "Retreat" button and get all the glorious info!***
At the Sewing Summit I got to take a class from Jess of Urban Patchwork and she taught about Improv Piecing. We were suppose to bring scraps of fabric to the retreat and when I stepped into the Babylock Sewing Machine Room, I felt sick, I had forgotten my scraps! Luckily, Jess had made little packs of fabric scraps for us to get started with. As soon as I looked at the scraps I knew I had tons of coordinating fabrics at home in my scrap box. Dang it!
Working and focusing for two straight hours on improv piecing was challenging and I felt quite out of my element. Regardless, it was really fun, I sat by Emily and Kris and we had a great time quilting and chatting together. I found out Kris and I had both attended Vanderbilt and that made me feel right at home with her. I love a southern accent.
By the time the class was over I had only finished about half of one block (too much laughing and chitty chatty is to blame!)  At home I finished up the blocks and with my scrap box I decided to make the blocks have a crazy quilting look, but I'm not sure if I went over board on the crazy though!  Once they were all finished and I trimmed up the sides and squared off the blocks they measured 15" by 10".

I put 2" sashing in between the 4 blocks in Kona "Snow".

Just a glance from the back. I have a few ideas for the rest of the quilt. I am excited to see where this leads.
post signature

3 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

this looks really cool! I love the way it looks. That's one class I wish I had taken. I almost snuck in on Monday morning!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I really love those blocks! Can't wait to see more. Improv piecing is so fun but I'm not always great at it!! I blogged about it today :)

Barb said...

Looks interesting and is turning out so nicely!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin