Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Maple Bars ~ Mid Week Munchies


I came across the most delicious looking doughnuts on Pinterest a few days ago. The recipe was from Our Best Bites, not their original recipe but Kate was making the doughnuts from this book. They looked divine and since I am such a sucker for maples bars...I just had to try.
These maples bars looked amazing, they fried to perfection and the glaze was spot on, they just didn't quite taste right. They were chewy (which I like very much) but too heavy and not alot of taste in the actual dough so the maple frosting was very overwhelming. I was disappointed. Now, I didn't add mace which the recipe calls for and I fried the dough in crisco and she suggested corn oil. Ummmm.

But I will say the frosting is "shut the front door" perfect. From now on this will be my go-to maple frosting. Here is it:

Maple Frosting

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/3 cup hot water (plus more if needed)

Fall is officially in my neck of the woods. Chilly and dark in the mornings and I need to get out and prep my garden for winter.

post signature

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin