Friday, February 27, 2009

1936-ish Bookmark?



The book I have been curled up reading is: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It is one of my favorites and anyone who wants to get me the perfect gift - there you go! I have a decent collection of about 8 that my family has given me over the last 12 years or so. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you do.

While reading from a particular book from my collection at about page 200 I came across this little comic and thought oh, how fascinating...someone's little bookmark. This is how one person choose to mark their place in my favorite book. A bit of interesting pop culture. We'll I got really interested in this little cartoon after a few days and thought I would use a little google ingenuity and see what I could find:

Pud and Pep the dog - I think


In 1930, he started his business in a small Philadelphia loft with nothing more than a barrel of sugar, a barrel of glucose and about $25. There were two rooms in the loft; Bowman lived in one room and mixed the gum ingredients himself in the other. That small start-up was built into Gum, Inc and his chief brand was called Blony. By the end of the decade, Bowman was among the top executives in the bubble gum industry through his skill and determination. He had even expanded from those initial two rooms to the entire building. By 1938, he was ready to sell his gum with cards.
During this time, many of these gum companies were wrapping their larger gum pieces with comics. Fleer's Dubble Bubble long used cartoons -- Fleer Funnies -- on its packaging, and gave each a number. Starting with #131, the comics had color added and characters introduced: Pudge, Bud, Tim and Pep the dog. Later, Pudge's name would be shortened to Pud and he became the most recognized character.

If you would like to read the entire article (1 page) click here!

Obviously I am not an authority, but this might ( just might) be a cartoon from when the book was originally publish in 1936! How cool would that be?

6 comments:

Kirsty said...

I love surprises found in 2nd hand books. Yours is a goodie.

cottage farm villa said...

You are a girl after my own heart. I too would have been so excited to find this little treasure in a book and thought of who it was who used it and put it in there! And aren't we so lucky to be able to "google" and find out even more! This is a great post! Thank you for sharing. ~Cheryl

Lorri said...

GWTW is also my favorite book. Along with Jane Austin. So happy you stopped by and left a message! I just love your blog. The cottage is a picture I found on FLickr. I typed in pink cottage and there you go! Have a great weekend.
Lorri

Jodi Nelson said...

Very cool! I would have totally googled that bookmark. Heck I google people's names that are in the books. I've even traced part of a family tree for one, once. ;o) LOL.ooxx`jodi

Fahrenheit 350° said...

I've been trying to think of my favorite book, and when you posted this I realized: Yes! "Celia Garth". Truth be told, I've never read "Gone With the Read" that will be a must for 2009!

The WoodLand School said...

These thrifty surprises are the *best*! What a score : )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin